But, often stale breathing (halitosis) is caused by other, more serious problems. Pay attention to your tongue, because it’s not for nothing that doctors call it a “mirror of the stomach”: a thick white or yellow coating indicates a disturbed functioning of the digestive system and can become a source of unpleasant breathing.
5 main causes of bad breath and ways to eliminate
- Hygiene of the oral cavity. Very often this is what causes stale breathing. Namely – the vital products of bacteria that live on the teeth and in the folds of the oral mucosa. As a result of improper hygiene, bacteria begin to accumulate in large quantities.
- Diseases of the mucous membrane of the mouth or teeth (periodontitis, periodontal disease, stomatitis, gingivitis, caries). To get rid of the problem, you will need to visit a dentist or other specialist who will determine what the stale breath is associated with..
- Diseases of the internal organs. Halitosis can occur in chronic inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract, renal and hepatic (smell of acetone) insufficiency, diabetic ketoacidosis (sweet smell). In order to get rid of bad breath, it is worth being examined by a doctor.
- Dry mouth It could also provoke the appearance of stale breathing. This usually happens in the morning, because the body produces less saliva during sleep and the mouth “dries up,” especially if you sleep with your mouth open. If dry mouth accompanies constantly, then the easiest way to activate the release of saliva is to chew something (peppermint tablets, chewing gums, peppermint candies. The body perceives this as a signal of food intake, and there is an increase in the release of saliva. But you should make sure that these products do not have sugar, which promotes the growth of bacteria causing tooth decay.
- Tartar, which contains microorganisms that cause gum disease, and also smell bad. In this case, professional cleaning is required..
How to get rid of odors with home remedies
Of the available means that help make breathing fresh is rinsing the mouth with infusion of fresh dill. The onion or garlic odor will disappear if you smell odorous vegetables with celery or parsley. Freshly brewed strong tea.
You can get rid of the smell caused by diseases of the oral cavity by rinsing with decoctions and infusions of herbs. For these purposes, chamomile, sage, calendula, St. John’s wort, mint are suitable. Grass or a mixture of several species must be brewed at the rate of 1 tbsp. spoon a glass of boiling water and let it brew. For one rinse, half a cup of infusion is enough. The procedure is best done after eating and brushing your teeth..
How to care for your oral cavity
Unfortunately, not everyone is brushing their teeth correctly: you need to brush your teeth with toothpaste in the morning and evening every day for at least 2-3 minutes in all directions, and rinse your mouth with warm water after eating. It is important to clean the surface of the tongue, where there are a large number of harmful bacteria. For this purpose, you can choose either a regular brush or a special one to clean the tongue. Only careful oral care will help get rid of bad smell.
Toothpastes containing extracts of medicinal herbs relieve inflammation of the oral mucosa and make breathing fresh. A paste containing antibacterial substances such as cetylpyridinium chloride will help to destroy the bacteria. Also, liquid rinses will help get rid of the bad smell, if you use them together with regular brushing of the tongue and teeth..
It should be remembered that the use of fresheners and chewing gums does not eliminate the cause of the unpleasant odor. Prevention is thorough oral care and timely treatment of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract or other internal organs.
In any case, if an unpleasant odor starts to bother you, and even proper oral care has not helped to get rid of the problem, you should definitely consult a doctor. Only a specialist will be able to identify the cause of this problem and give recommendations.