Examination of a gynecologist is not so scary, but it is very important for a young girl. The doctor will evaluate the development of the genitals, in time will reveal any deviations in their development, will detect an inflammatory process or an infectious disease. In addition, the gynecologist will advise on the issue of protection against unwanted pregnancy and will choose the appropriate method in a particular case..
The first examination by a gynecologist is carried out at the age of 14-16. Better – before the onset of sexual activity and always after.
In what case is it necessary to go to the gynecologist’s appointment?
- If menstruation began before 9 years;
- If menstruation does not begin before 16 years of age;
- With an irregular cycle during the first two years after the onset of menstruation;
- With heavy bleeding and soreness on critical days;
- In the presence of discharge, itching, redness in the labia, pain in the lower abdomen.
How to prepare for a visit to a gynecologist?
- On the day of the visit to the doctor, you must take a shower without using intimate hygiene products.
- Go to the toilet. Examination with a full bladder not only makes it difficult to examine, but can also hurt.
- Take a diaper with you, which is placed on the chair before you sit on it.
What questions will the gynecologist ask?
The doctor will ask about the menstrual cycle: when did the first menstruation begin, the duration of each cycle, when was the last time, is the menstrual cycle regular?.
Ideally, you need to create a calendar on which you will note the duration of critical days. So you always accurately answer all the questions of the gynecologist accurately and without hesitation..
Also, the gynecologist will ask questions regarding sexual life: do you live with her, at what age did you start, and with what methods of contraception do you protect yourself.
What is a gynecological examination?
- The examination begins with an assessment of the correct development of the genital organs. Using a gynecological speculum, which is inserted into the vagina, the doctor will examine the vaginal mucosa and cervix. If you still do not live sexually, the doctor will not enter gynecological instruments, but will take only a smear.
- The examination includes a two-handed examination, in which two fingers of one hand are inserted into the vagina, and the stomach is felt with the second hand. This is necessary to assess the condition of the ovaries, uterus and fallopian tubes. So examines those who already live sexually. Otherwise, verification of the development of the genital organs is carried out through a rectal examination (as in the first case, but the fingers are no longer inserted into the vagina, but into the anus).
- Vaginal smear for further laboratory analysis.
- Examination of the mammary glands. This examination is required to detect neoplasms and seals. Examination includes palpation of the mammary glands and examination of the nipples.
Perhaps that’s all. And do not be afraid of the gynecological chair, whether you are sitting in it correctly for the first time – the doctor will tell you how to do it. From the beginning of sexual activity, undergo a regular examination, every six months. The ability to become a mother in the future depends on the health of the genitals.