When such a skin disease appears in your child, this is a big problem. Psoriasis is dangerous not only from the point of view of the disease itself, psychological consequences are important. Your child is avoided by peers, they do not want to play with him, they are afraid to go to the pool. The cruelty of other children causes psychological trauma. The child refuses to go to school, attend sections. Psoriasis in children requires not only treatment with drugs. Parent support needed. The child should not be limited only to illness, but to participate in the life of the school, play sports.
What is psoriasis?
A chronic skin disease in which red plaques appear on the body is called psoriasis. It is important to know that the disease is not contagious. The appearance of plaques on different parts of the body – the head, elbows, knees – is accompanied by itching and soreness. Domestic inconvenience arises – these formations interfere with wearing shoes and touch clothes. Worse when plaques on visible parts of the body. They laugh at the child, tease – there is a stressful situation, psychological breakdowns.
If you turn to a dermatologist in time and start a complex effect, there is a chance to quickly get rid of the symptoms. Can psoriasis be cured forever? With proper treatment, it can disappear for many years, but suddenly reappear in adulthood. The disease persists in the body, periodically subsiding and exacerbating again. Since the cause of psoriasis is not precisely established, there is no unambiguous treatment technique. I have to pick it up empirically, using medications, folk remedies, diet.
Symptoms and first signs of psoriasis in children
The rash appears in many childhood diseases, but with psoriasis it is special. Red plaques with whitish scales appear on the body. They begin to hurt and itch, in some cases crack, and blood is released. Nail psoriasis is characterized by the formation of small depressions, like on a thimble. The lesion covers both arms and legs. Infantile psoriasis can be localized in different parts of the body. Often plaques cover:
- palms, feet;
- forehead, cheeks;
- knees, lower back;
- eyelids, ears;
- area near the navel.
How does it begin
Psoriasis occurs after infectious or viral diseases, when the body is weakened. It all starts with the appearance of small dots on the surface of the body. May be accompanied by weakness, fever. In this situation, it is important to contact specialists in time to diagnose the disease. Subsequently, small dots can come together, taking on bizarre shapes. Sometimes a significant part of the body is covered, causing discomfort and pain.
There are several types of psoriasis in children:
- Diaper psoriasis in infants manifests itself in the form of diaper rash, eczema. It affects the buttocks, which are irritated by urine and feces. It may be in the folds of the skin. It looks like dermatosis, therefore it is difficult to diagnose.
- Plaque. It is found on the bends of the elbows and knees, on the head.
- Teardrop-shaped psoriasis is manifested by small red formations – papules that peel and hurt.
Severe forms of skin disease can only be cured under clinical conditions. Among them:
- Pustular psoriasis. It is very difficult, accompanied by burning skin, fever.
- Psoriatic erythroderma is characterized by redness of the whole body, accompanied by fever, joint pain.
- The arthropathic form of the disease is characterized by the appearance of conjunctivitis. It is characterized by swelling of the joints, pain in the fingers, legs.
How does it manifest
If treatment is not started in time, the disease will progress, capturing new areas of the skin. Individual plaques will be combined into large arrays with violation of the skin. Possible fever, fever. Swelling of the joints of the legs and hands leads to restriction of movement. The manifestation of psoriasis on the head can lead to nervous breakdowns, depression.
Although the disease has been known since ancient times, the exact cause of the occurrence has not yet been established. Someone says that psoriasis is inherited from parents to children. Some blame stress and poor ecology. Highlight the causes of psoriasis:
- low immunity;
- infectious diseases;
- skin injuries;
- fungal diseases;
- taking medications;
- violation of body thermoregulation;
- viral diseases.
What does a skin disease look like in children?
Psoriasis looks different at different stages of the development of the disease. The initial stage is similar to an allergy or diathesis.
A common skin disease with plaque formation looks like the photo.
Psoriasis of the scalp may not be visible under the hair, but sometimes goes beyond it.
Skin lesions sometimes cover the child’s body with separate plaques, large spots or cover a large surface, as in this case.
How and how to treat psoriasis
No matter how you try, psoriasis cannot be cured forever. You can suspend the disease, probably there will be a remission. You will consider that you have been cured, but after some time everything will happen again. An important role in the treatment of psoriasis is diet. Avoid eating fats, sweets. It is necessary to exclude food of animal origin. Recommended:
- poultry meat;
- greens: dill, parsley, salads;
- dairy products;
The treatment of psoriasis is prescribed only by a dermatologist. To combat the disease, it is advised to use:
- Medications: immunosuppressants, retinoids.
- Moisturizing the skin with baths, creams.
- Non-hormonal ointments.
- Phototherapy is prescribed to children with caution.
- Puva therapy – the use of photochemistry – under the strict supervision of doctors.
- Treatment with folk remedies.
- Vitamin Courses.
On the head
When symptoms of the disease on the head are recommended:
- lubricate the skin with fresh celandine juice, and on top with fish oil;
- apply essential oils of bergamot, geranium;
- rub plaques with wet oatmeal;
- drink sea buckthorn oil in a spoon a day;
- make lotions from sauerkraut juice;
- lubricate plaques with baby cream;
- take retinoids.
On the elbows
To treat skin on the elbows, birch tar is excellent. It is applied to the affected area, ranging from ten minutes to forty, then washed off with soap. Due to the strong smell, the procedure is best done in the evening. The use of machine solidol gives good results. It is smeared with a thick layer, kept for 20 to 40 minutes. Wash off with tar soap.
On the body
If psoriasis appears on the body, it is best to do baths. They can be with sea salt, a string, a camomile. Baths made from baking soda help. One procedure requires 900 grams of product. Do them every other day, for two months. Good results are obtained by treating affected areas with sea buckthorn oil. It disinfects, heals and dries the skin..
On the face
To treat facial lesions, you can apply gruel from soda and water, stand for several hours. Rubbing essential oils of rose, jasmine helps. Egg ointment, which is applied at night, works well. According to the recipe mix:
- 3 yolks;
- 2 large spoons of laundry soap;
- 200 g of chicken fat;
- 2 tablespoons of tar;
- fir oil and soda on a teaspoon;
- 2 tablespoons of medical bile.
- Atopic dermatitis in children – treatment with folk remedies and medications. Causes and symptoms of atopic dermatitis in a child, video and photo
- Adenovirus infection in children and adults – causes. Symptoms, treatment and prevention of adenovirus infection
- Hemorrhagic vasculitis in adults and children. Causes, symptoms and treatment of hemorrhagic vasculitis