- Where does the fungus on the legs come from and how to recognize it
- What is dangerous fungus
- Pharmacy review – list of pills, creams, and ointments
- Treatment of a fungus at home without drugs – folk remedies
- Prevention of nail fungus
- Reviews on the results of treatment
Fungal nail damage on toes is a common infectious disease caused by pathogens known as epidermophytes. Men, women at any age are infected with this disease. The presence of the fungus is indicated by severe itching, a change in the structure of the nail plate, its yellowing, and the appearance of scaly spots. It is difficult to get rid of an ailment. Fungal treatment involves the use of a number of drugs for internal and external use.
Where does the fungus on the legs come from and how to recognize it
The appearance of a fungus on the legs is preceded by contact with a sick person or his shoes. Infection occurs in crowded places favorable for the development of pathogens – saunas, saunas, pools, sports centers. However, not all people visiting these places fall ill with fungus. Epidermophytes settle on the feet of those who wear tight closed shoes and are prone to sweating. According to experts, these mushrooms prefer a slightly alkaline or neutral moist environment..
According to statistics, sometimes infection with mycosis occurs in salons that provide nail processing services, whose employees do not monitor compliance with sanitary standards. The fungus “clings” more often to adults; in children, mycosis is rare. Doctors explain this by age-related changes in the pH of the skin, a weakening of immunity against the background of various diseases. Sometimes the causes of the development of the fungus are:
- thyroid disease;
- endocrine disorders;
- gastrointestinal diseases;
- adrenal gland disorders.
At risk, doctors include people who abuse alcohol, smoke. Distinctive changes in the structure of the nail and color help to recognize the disease. When the fungus is introduced, it stains in white, yellow, brown, black shades. The color of a diseased nail depends on the type of pathogen (mold, yeast or dermatophytes).
The nail itself begins to flake and crumble. Over time, its keratinization occurs. The growths on the nail help to recognize the fungus, which become larger over time and interfere with the treatment. However, these symptoms do not appear immediately. Some people are unaware of the presence of the disease, so it takes a serious course, in which the fungus leads to the destruction of the nail plate. An advanced disease can be treated with great difficulty..
What is dangerous fungus
In addition to unpleasant external manifestations, the fungus harms the entire body. Its main danger is that a chronic fungus becomes the cause of the complicated course of other serious diseases (diabetes, allergies, bronchial asthma). Gradually, it completely affects the nail plate and spreads to the tissues in contact with the nail. According to experts, it is a kind of conductor for other infections.
Sometimes, against the background of reduced immunity, the fungus is able to penetrate the internal organs and cause their damage. Not the last place in this list is intoxication of the body. Some types of mushrooms in the process of their life emit toxins, which gradually poison the patient’s body. Nail fungus also affects people’s mental well-being. Against the background of physical inconveniences, the patient develops a squeamish attitude towards himself, negative emotions, feelings about the development of the disease appear.
Pharmacy review – list of pills, creams, and ointments
How can I cure a toenail fungus? Traditional medicine offers a wide selection of various means to combat this unpleasant ailment. These are antifungal drugs for oral and external use. Each of them provides for the destruction of pathogens, however, due to the wide variety of drugs and the presence of individual characteristics, only a qualified specialist should select drugs and determine the course of treatment. At the initial stage of the disease, the following external agents help to cope with the fungus:
- Batrafen is a medical varnish for fungus. Appointed according to the scheme, courses of 30 days. Therapy involves applying the varnish in the first month once every two days. For the second month, batrafen is applied every three days. Then, until the nail plate is completely restored, the medicine is used once every 7 days.
- Cyclopiroxolamine – varnish for fungus. It is applied over the affected nail once a day. Before applying the varnish, the affected part of the nail is removed with the help of the file included with the preparation. The duration of therapy depends on the degree of development of the disease..
- Lacquer Loceryl. The product should be applied once every three days, course from six months to a year.
- Mycosan nail serum causes the death of pathogens, creates conditions unfavorable for the further development of the fungus. It is used for a long time. The duration of therapy depends on the characteristics of nail growth and the area of the lesion. The minimum course of treatment is 28 days. It is applied twice a day on a clean nail plate. Then the surface of the nail, if desired, is covered with decorative manicure varnish.
- Nail remover Nail care provides painless removal of growths and the most diseased nail. The substances that make up the drug provide removal of the nail and the growth of a healthy one. The product is applied in a thick layer, without rubbing, on prepared, well-steamed nail plates, avoiding contact with healthy tissues. Top closes with a band-aid for 4 days. Then, after preliminary steaming, the separated layer is scraped off. This procedure is performed until the nail is completely cleansed..
- Lamisil (spray, gel, cream) resists a wide range of mushrooms. Recommended for extensive lesions. Apply the drug no more than twice during the day. Before use, the affected areas are cleaned and dried. The drug is sprayed or applied to thoroughly moisturize the affected nail and adjacent skin areas.
- Terbinafine (cream, ointment) – an anti-fungal agent for external use. Apply it 1-2 times a day. The drug accumulates in the tissues in the concentration necessary for disinfection. The course of treatment is 1-2 weeks.
- Lamellar (spray) – a tool that covers a wide range of pathogens. It is applied to the areas infected with the fungus (until they are completely moistened) for a week, no more than two times a day.
- Mycozoral (ointment) has a fungicidal effect. Facilitates the manifestation of symptoms. It is applied twice a day. The course of treatment is determined by the doctor, can last from 2 to 4 weeks.
- Exoderil (cream) is an effective medicine for nail fungus. The cream has an antibacterial, anti-inflammatory effect, contributes to the disappearance of itching. A sore spot is lubricated once a day. The duration of the treatment course depends on the type of disease (from 14 days to 6 months).
If preparations for external use have not had the proper effect on the fungus, or the disease is severely neglected, then experts prescribe oral agents. Tablets, like gels, ointments, sprays, have a fungus-destroying effect and block their ability to reproduce. The most effective against mold and yeast are:
- Orungal. Helps to cure a neglected fungus. It is used depending on the characteristics of the disease, either according to the scheme, or for a long, continuous course (3 months). According to the scheme: the first week they drink 1-2 capsules 2 times a day. A second course is carried out after three weeks. The courses are repeated several times until recovery. With long-term course of treatment, the drug is prescribed to drink 2 capsules once a day.
- Diflucan (fluconazole). An effective drug that helps to remove the old fungus. To drink the drug is prescribed one capsule once every 7 days. Course – 30-36 weeks.
Treatment of a fungus at home without drugs – folk remedies
Folk remedies can supplement the medical treatment of nail fungus. Their use is not a panacea for infection, however, alternative drugs effectively relieve the symptoms of the disease, support the effect of medications. In cases of using additional methods of therapy, you should consult your doctor. The most common anti-fungal drugs used in alternative medicine are iodine, garlic, vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, celandine, lemon, propolis.
- Iodine. The iodine alcohol solution has a disinfectant and antiseptic effect. It directly affects the fungus, destroying it. The use of iodine is allowed in cases where there is no allergy to it. For this, a five percent iodine solution is applied to the diseased nail one drop twice: morning and evening. As a preventive measure, healthy nails are also treated with iodine. After a week, the number of treatments should be reduced. The course of treatment takes from twenty days to a month.
- Garlic. Based on this spice, many ways to treat fungus have been created. One of the most popular is the treatment of fungal infections of the nail plate with alcohol garlic tincture. To prepare it in equal proportions, they take alcohol and mashed garlic. The resulting medicine is diluted with a small amount of distilled water. This mass lubricates the nail plate. On the basis of garlic, an ointment for fungus is also made. To do this, take equally butter and mashed garlic. With this ointment, compresses are applied to the affected nail for the whole night..
- Vinegar. An effective tool in the treatment of fungus in the early stages are baths with vinegar. Immediately before the procedure, you need to steam out the feet. In a small bowl, prepare a solution of 9% warm vinegar essence. Position the pelvis so that the legs do not rest against its bottom. Keep your feet in the solution for about 15 minutes. After the procedure, wipe them off, but do not wash them with water. Spend such baths twice a week. The duration of treatment depends on the size of the affected area..
- Hydrogen peroxide. The product is known for its disinfecting properties. Treatment of nail fungus with hydrogen peroxide is effective in the early stages of the disease. It is used to create a special solution for warm baths. Pour warm water into the basin and add a little 3% peroxide. Lower the legs into the resulting solution for 15 minutes. Then wipe them without washing with plain water.
- Celandine. For the treatment of fungus, celandine juice is used. A sick nail is lubricated with it every 6 hours. An effective remedy for the fungus is a healing solution from celandine. For cooking you will need: 5 tbsp. boiling water, 1 cup celandine leaves. The raw material is poured with boiling water and insisted for 60-70 minutes. The resulting product is used for steaming the legs, which is carried out every 6 hours for 15 minutes. The duration of treatment with celandine depends on the degree of the disease..
- Lemon. To treat a fungus with lemon, the fruit is cut into thin slices, which are applied to the sore spot. Gauze is placed on top of the lemon, wrapped in a cellophane film and fixed with a bandage. The procedure is recommended for 12 consecutive days. According to reviews, this tool is one of the most effective, quickly helping to save yourself from nail fungus..
- Propolis. Fast and effective remedy for fungal infections of the nail plates. Propolis has a bactericidal, fungicidal and bacteriostatic effect. It relieves itching, inflammation, helps wound healing. For treatment, use tampons with 20% propolis alcohol tincture (you won’t have to search for it for a long time, it is sold in any pharmacy; the price varies from 20 to 30 rubles per 25 ml jar). When treating fungal diseases with the help of this tincture, diseased nails disappear, which ensures updating of the nail plates.
Prevention of nail fungus
Fungal treatment is a long and not always successful process. The use of a number of preventive measures will help protect against infection, among which hygiene is of paramount importance. Dermatologists recommend daily processing of shoes with vinegar or formalin, wear only their slippers when visiting a bath, pool or sauna. The list of preventive measures that protect against fungus contains the following tips:
- Take vitamin therapy courses regularly.
- Wear quality shoes made from natural materials..
- Try on it in salons, putting on socks.
- Don’t give your shoes to anyone, change it more often.
- Fight sweating feet.
- If you have to walk barefoot in a public place, treat your feet with a special antifungal.
- Use shoe deodorants.
- Exercise regularly.
- Treat chronic infectious diseases in time – gastritis, tonsillitis, etc..
- Stick to a healthy diet.
Reviews on the results of treatment
Ilya, 34 years old: The strong fungus Terbinafine helped me cure. A dermatologist from a polyclinic prescribed this remedy to me. The medicine was in the form of tablets and ointments. I was treated for a long time and according to the scheme that the doctor picked up. Before that, I tried to get rid of this infection myself, but I didn’t succeed.
Sergey, 25 years old: I had a yeast on my legs. I was prescribed diflucan capsules at the hospital. I drank the drug for six months, one at a time once a week. He smeared his feet with exoderil all this time every day. I also made baths from tincture of celandine according to a recipe from the Internet. Six months of torment, and everything went.
Vika, 38 years old: I don’t know where I got this fungus. Had to be treated for a long time. Orungal drank for three months. It seems that everything has passed, but two months later it began again. It turned out – secondary infection. Lubricated nails with iodine. The dermatologist prescribed Terbinafine. I drank 6 months. No problem now.