- How to prepare for an abdominal ultrasound
- Preparation for abdominal ultrasound in adults
- How to prepare for a woman’s abdominal ultrasound
- Ultrasound of the abdomen for a child – preparation
- What can I eat before an ultrasound of the abdominal cavity?
- Can I drink water before an abdominal ultrasound??
- What you can not eat before an ultrasound of the abdominal cavity
Just a few decades ago, doctors did not know about ultrasound, but today they send almost every patient for analysis to clarify the diagnosis. The patient can only follow the doctor’s recommendations and carefully prepare.
How to prepare for an abdominal ultrasound
There is an opinion that the accuracy of ultrasound depends only on the qualifications of the medical staff and the novelty of the equipment. To a large extent, the statement is correct, but often difficulties in interpreting the results can arise when examining patients who are overweight or because of the patient’s ignorance. Yes, an important part before abdominal ultrasound is the preparation of the patient.
The doctor’s requirements will be determined by which organ should be illuminated on the equipment screen:
- When examining the pancreas or stomach, it is necessary to refuse foods that cause fermentation in the intestines.
- When the doctor wants to see the bladder, prostate, gall bladder, you need to drink 0.5 l of water 60-120 minutes before admission.
- You can evaluate the health of the mammary glands only 1-2 weeks after the start of the menstrual cycle.
- No need to prepare for an examination of the lymph nodes, heart, liver, kidneys, thyroid gland.
Remember that before you begin to prepare for an ultrasound of the abdominal cavity. Be sure to notify the doctor about the presence of serious chronic diseases and taking medications, including oral contraceptives. Most drugs will have to be abandoned. The only exceptions are “cardiac” medications. In this case, you can simply warn the diagnostician.
Preparation for abdominal ultrasound in adults
In addition to the basic medical aspects, before undergoing an analysis with ultrasound on any internal organ, it is necessary:
- At least 2 hours before the procedure, give up tobacco, including not smoking electronic cigarettes.
- If you have been diagnosed with diabetes before the study, ask your doctor to schedule an analysis in the morning. Patients with such problems should not be denied food for too long..
- Tell the sonologist if an x-ray of the chest and rectum has been taken. In this case, before passing other tests, some time should pass.
- In adults, preparation for ultrasound of the abdominal cavity also implies the rejection of antispasmodics. To do this, it is better to ask your doctor for advice in advance.
How to prepare for a woman’s abdominal ultrasound
Usually a woman does not have to make any preparations. A slightly different preparation for abdominal ultrasound in women is only from 1 to 13 weeks of pregnancy. It involves following a certain diet for at least 2 days. It is advisable to exclude gas-forming products from your menu:
- milk products;
- carbonated drinks.
Starting from the 14th week of pregnancy and until birth, before preparing for an ultrasound of the abdominal cavity (even if the aim of the study is to examine the liver and kidneys), it is supposed not to eat on the morning and evening the day before. Otherwise, food debris in the intestines can distort the overall picture. This item is especially important when the sonologist wants to look at the biliary tract..
Ultrasound of the abdomen for a child – preparation
If everything is clear with adults, then how to prepare a child for an abdominal ultrasound is a mystery for many parents. In fact, even the smallest diagnostic scientists have developed several rules:
- The procedure allows babies on an empty stomach, that is, mom should skip one feeding.
- Older children increase this interval to 4 hours. You can not drink 60-80 minutes before the examination by a doctor.
- The main rule on how to prepare for an ultrasound of the abdominal organs of a child under 14 years old is: no food for 8 hours and a complete ban on drinks before being taken by a diagnostician.
What can I eat before an ultrasound of the abdominal cavity?
To avoid errors in interpretation, a few days before the analysis, the doctor will prescribe a special diet for the patient. A sample menu will consist of the following list of products:
- boiled beef;
- skinless chicken;
- low-fat steam fish;
- boiled egg;
- oat, pearl barley or buckwheat.
A strict preparation for ultrasound of the abdominal organs is also considered by the fact that you need to eat in small portions with an interval of 2-3 hours. Drinks are allowed only after an hour from a meal. At the same time, it is strictly forbidden to drink sweet soda, coffee or tea with sugar, kefir or yogurt, other dairy products. Drink warm water.
Regarding whether it is possible to eat before an ultrasound of the abdominal cavity, each qualified specialist will answer you that the study is supposed to be done on an empty stomach. Otherwise, the stomach simply does not have time to digest food, the image on the monitor is distorted, and the result will be inaccurate. The only exception is when the analysis will be carried out in the afternoon: a light breakfast is allowed.
Can I drink water before an abdominal ultrasound??
Drinking fluid before the procedure is another controversial point in preparation. It is impossible to answer unequivocally that it is impossible to drink tea or water without knowing the situation, not a single self-respecting doctor can. Much will depend on the purpose of the study.
- If you need to see the condition of the bladder, prostate and kidney, before the procedure you need to drink about 3 glasses of a non-carbonated drink.
- When looking at the heart, liver, arteries and lymph nodes, there is no need to drink fluid.
- The same rule applies to the digestive tract.
Can I drink before abdominal ultrasound for children? A teenager and preschoolers can go to the hospital a few glasses of water. Breasts who suffer from constipation are given a couple of spoons of dill water for four days. For adults, a glass of honey with lemon will help cleanse the intestines. It must be taken within 2 days before the expected date.
What you can not eat before an ultrasound of the abdominal cavity
In addition to the list of allowed foods and drinks, the medical diet will contain a list of prohibited foods. Basically, this is the kind of food that can cause bloating and flatulence. The list of what you can not eat before an ultrasound, is small, it includes:
- any soda, coffee and alcohol;
- cottage cheese, sour cream and other dairy products;
- yeast baked goods, fresh bread;
- fatty fish fillet, meat and offal.
- Histology – what it is, a transcript of the results. What histology analysis shows
- Analysis of urine for white blood cells is the norm for children and adults. What do elevated white blood cells mean in a urinalysis
- High pulse under normal pressure – what to do and how to lower the causes and treatment of tachycardia