- How to make an arch in the doorway – material selection
- How to make an arch in a doorway – preparing a doorway
- How to make an arch in the doorway – installing the frame
- How to make an arch in a doorway – an arched fragment of an arch
Now we will give you practical recommendations on how to make an arch in the doorway with your own hands and analyze the whole process “on the shelves”. We consider the arch in the opening, which is installed instead of the door between the rooms.
How to make an arch in the doorway – material selection
To create an arch structure, you can use any materials: brick, stone, wood, metal and plastic. The former are distinguished by their high weight, and the latter by their high cost. The most popular and acceptable option is to install a drywall arch. It is a light, environmentally friendly and practical building material..
This design has several advantages:
Its installation is not accompanied by large-scale work with increased noise and high consumption of building material. It will not be superfluous to note the affordable cost of all building elements used in the installation of drywall arches and a huge range in every hardware store.
How to make an arch in a doorway – preparing a doorway
Choosing the type of arch to be installed, you can proceed to the preparation of the opening. First you need to get rid of the installed structure, instead of which you want to build an arch. Remove the door and dismantle the door frame.
For this purpose, you can use scrap or other items. If the size of the opening does not satisfy you, correct the situation. You can cut out part of the wall, or you can build a smaller structure, reducing the distance in the opening. The surface must be cleaned of chips, dust and pieces of concrete. To protect against fungus and mold, treat the wall with antiseptic impregnation.
How to make an arch in the doorway – installing the frame
From the guide profile, the main frame of the arch is made. Pre-prepared strips must be attached parallel to each other on both sides and to the top of the opening. Drill holes in the ceilings with which you will fix the profile with dowels. Please note that you need to install the main frame with a retreat deep into the opening. The deviation should be equal to the thickness of the drywall sheet and putty. Thus, the surface of the door arch will have one plane with overlappings.
For the manufacture of the arcuate part of the frame will have to perform a “simple” manipulation: cut the side flanges of the profile and bend to the state of the arc. Cuts are made using scissors at a distance of 50 millimeters from each other. We attach the arcs formed with screws to the main guides.
DIY plasterboard arch should be strong enough. To do this, install stiffeners from the supporting profile.
How to make an arch in a doorway – an arched fragment of an arch
Using a tape measure, measure the length and width of the arc. Take a knife and cut a piece of plasterboard that matches the size. Now, to bend drywall, you can use 2 methods:
- Wet it. Suitable for creating slight bending..
- Make cuts every 10 centimeters. Use the construction level so that the cuts come out strictly perpendicular to the side edge..
Drywall needs to be turned over with notches up. Gently give it the desired shape. Be careful and drywall will quickly take shape.
Fixation start from the top of the arch with screws. Step by step, the sheet of drywall will take on the form you conceived.
How to make an arch in the doorway – design
The formed and putty arch needs additional decoration:
- Painting. The inside is painted with light paint..
- Wallpapering over the arch. This is an easy and affordable way..
- Polyurethane stucco trim. Skills will not be superfluous, but everything is quite simple, because all the elements are assembled and glued in stages. Assembly begins at the top of the arch. Side elements are adjusted to the required height.
- Plaster stucco decoration. The method is similar to the previous one, however, doing the work yourself, you risk making poor-quality seams and spoil the appearance.
- Masonry decorative stone. This work is best left to professionals..
Arched doorways give the house a unique architectural charm. Arches are designed to visually increase the space of a room. Do it yourself or contact specialists – everyone decides for himself.