- How to assess the degree of burn injury
- Burn treatment
- Homemade folk remedies
- Anti-burn products for children
Damage such as a burn is easy to get even at home, inadvertently handling appliances, ironing or pouring hot tea on yourself. Treatment in this case depends on the severity of the injury, which is determined by the presence of certain symptoms. Treatment of a burn at home is possible, but only with a mild form of damage. How and how to treat such wounds? The instructions below will help you figure this out..
How to assess the degree of burn injury
To determine whether to treat burns at home, you must first identify their severity. The following signs will help in this:
- First degree. It is characterized by slight redness of the lesion. In addition, edema and small transparent vesicles filled with fluid may appear..
- Second degree. Large blisters appear on the reddened and swollen skin, which often burst. This process causes crusting..
- Third degree. The small blisters surrounding the burn site do not burst, and the large bubbles are already opening. In their place, a scab forms – a protective crust of blood, pus and dead tissue, which causes scarring.
- Fourth degree. The last stage of burn severity, accompanied by signs of previous degrees and carbonization of the lesion sites.
If by signs you have identified 1 or 2 stage of a burn, then you can cope with the disease at home. Before using any medicine, study what absolutely can not be done with such injuries:
- Piercing blisters.
- Lubricate the skin with alcohol, oily creams and ointments. Sour cream and kefir are contraindicated.
- Use urine to flush.
- Use cotton wool for compresses.
- Patch up.
To exclude factors such as getting on a burned place of infection, pain and burn disease, you need to urgently take first aid measures:
- Substitute the damaged part of the body under cold water. Better use flowing, but in extreme cases, pour liquid into the tank and constantly pour new portions there.
- After cooling the burn, use a wound healing agent.
- If there is no ointment or gel in the medicine cabinet, simply put a sterile dressing on the burn.
What to do with a burn of boiling water
After first aid, you can use the following wound healing drugs:
Lyophilisate for the preparation of solutions, a drug on the enzymes of papaya juice. It has a necrolytic effect, therefore it is indicated for burns up to 4 degrees.
The medicine is prepared by diluting the agent in 10 ml of a 0.9% solution of sodium chloride or a 0.5% solution of novocaine. Then they wet a napkin, put it on a burn, and make a waterproof bandage on top. It needs to be changed every other day. Treatment lasts from 4 to 12 days. Prescription Available.
Ointment for burns with antibacterial and regenerative effect. It is indicated for purulent wounds..
It is necessary to apply externally, imposing gauze napkins, previously impregnated with ointment, on damage. The dressing should be daily.
Ointment for external use, stimulating tissue repair. It is indicated for burns not higher than 2 degrees.
Apply directly to the wound, before cleaning it with a disinfectant.
How to spread if burned with steam
In case of a steam burn, the skin also needs to be immediately cooled with water, then treated with an antiseptic, for example, chlorhexidine. After this, the skin must be lubricated with an anti-burn preparation:
- “D-Panthenol.” The drug is available in several forms – ointment, cream or aerosol. It is indicated for burns of various origins. For treatment, you need to distribute a thin layer of the product at the site of damage, rubbing it with light movements. Use up to 4 times a day, pre-treated with an antiseptic. Ointment price – from 250 r.
- “Rescuer”. Antimicrobial, soothing and healing ointment on natural ingredients. It is recommended to use for inflammation of the skin. Before anointing the burn, the damaged areas must be cleaned, then spread a significant layer of cream on them and wait for absorption. You can apply a bandage, but only before the absorption of the product. Price – from 120 r.
- “Olazol”. Aerosol with anesthetic, regenerating and antibacterial action. On open wounds and burns apply foam up to 4 times a day in an even layer, after shaking the spray can. Price – from 290 r.
How to handle a blister from an iron
If, while ironing, you accidentally hit the appliance with your finger or another part of the body, then use the following first aid instructions for a burn with an iron:
- This kind of damage is more likely to be 1-2 degrees of severity, so for starters just cool the damaged area with water.
- Wipe the burn with a solution of potassium permanganate.
- Treat the wound with anti-burn ointment. Use ointments “Rescuer”, “Panthenol”, Vishnevsky, “Solcoseryl”, “Bepanten”.
- Apply a sterile dry gauze dressing.
- Use pill analgesics to relieve burns.
Treatment of a chemical burn at home is aimed at cooling the wound and eliminating the action of a substance, for example, iodine or hydrogen peroxide. The latter is performed by the following means:
- vinegar, citric or boric acid – neutralize the action of alkaline media;
- soda solution – weakens acids;
- sugar – eliminates the effects of lime;
- alcohol and vodka – neutralize phenol compounds.
How to treat a burn with iodine
A burn with iodine is manifested in dryness, cracks and open wounds or blisters in more severe cases. In addition, it is characterized by scars that are difficult to get rid of quickly. The consequences of such damage can be removed by the following actions:
- Wash iodine from skin. If the burn manifests itself immediately after application, then the rinse time should be at least 15 minutes, if after more than half an hour – at least 30 minutes.
- Treat your skin with a neutralizing agent. Use an aqueous soap solution, chalk or tooth powder.
- Apply a wound healing preparation to the burn site. For example, sea buckthorn oil, which needs to lubricate the wound for 3 days. According to the instructions, use creams and ointments, such as Panthenol, Rescuer, Dexpanthenol.
If vinegar burned the sky and tongue
External damage to the skin, lips, eyes. If vinegar got on these parts of the body, then it can be cured by the principle of therapy for a chemical burn. Penetration of vinegar inside is the most dangerous. If the drug enters the esophagus, then it cannot be restored in most cases. The victim must perform the following actions:
- Rinse the mouth with neutralizing vinegar with a mild soda solution.
- Drink plenty of clean water to rinse your stomach. Maybe vinegar could get into the digestive tract.
- Rinse your mouth with a solution of local anesthetic, for example, 1% novocaine.
- Urgently call a doctor.
First aid for electric burns
For proper first aid, you need to know the sequence of actions:
- Disconnect the person and the current source as soon as possible. Disconnect the appliance from the network. If this is not possible, drag the victim away with a plastic or wooden object..
- Check for breathing, feel for a pulse. If your breathing is uneven and weak, start a heart massage. Do not stop it until signs of life or the arrival of a doctor.
- With normal breathing and heart rate, lay the victim in such a position that his legs are slightly higher and his head is turned to one side to prevent the tongue from drooping..
- In the absence of consciousness, spray the victim with water, let the ammonia smell.
- If a person wakes up, then in order to alleviate his condition, it is necessary to provide him with rest until the doctors arrive, laying him in a warm place and giving hot tea. Monitor the immobility of the victim..
Homemade folk remedies
Informal medicine offers several effective and time-tested methods for treating burns. Folk remedies for burns are as follows:
- Peppermint toothpaste. In case of a burn with boiling water, rinse the wound and immediately apply the paste in large quantities. It can reduce or completely relieve pain, and also prevents blisters. Wash off after 1.5-2 hours.
- Aloe. Cut a leaf of the plant in half, bandage the wound with it, after rubbing it on a grater. Use up to 2 times a day until the wound is completely healed..
- Potatoes. Grate the peeled vegetable on a fine grater, spread the mass on gauze and attach it to the affected area. After heating the compress, use the next portion of grated potatoes. Use until burning.
- Soda. In a glass of water, dilute 1 tsp. facilities. Make compresses, applying gauze moistened in solution to the affected area. Use before the pain subsides..
Anti-burn products for children
If the burn is light, then it is cooled under cold water, and then treated with panthenol-based products. Among the drugs for children are effective:
- La Cree. Cosmetic cream that restores the structure of the epidermis after insect bites, burns or when exposed to cold and wind. It is used in both adults and infants from the first day of life. The tool must be distributed in damaged areas in a small amount. Perform the procedure in the morning and 20 minutes before bedtime.
- Panthenol. Cream foam is applied from the first minutes of damage. It is only necessary to distribute the middle layer on the damaged area. In the future, apply up to 4 times a day. Suitable for babies.
- “Dermazin.” Cream antibacterial action. Allowed for a child from 2 months. The agent is applied in a layer up to 4 mm thick. Use up to 2 times daily until the effects of the burn completely disappear.