This obvious and noticeable external defect haunts any person. Well, if you already have experience in this matter and have an idea of what to do, but more often the provoking factor is not known. In isolated cases, this phenomenon occurs for no reason, more often it indicates a health problem and should be dealt with immediately..
Swollen lip – what could it be
To remove the swelling, you should first find out the cause of this symptom. When the lip is swollen – what could it be? One of the doctors can say with 100% accuracy, for example, a traumatologist, dermatologist, dentist, therapist or surgeon. Each of them, based on a visual examination, an anamnesis, will be able to make a preliminary conclusion about the root cause why the lip could swell. There is a list of factors that can cause bloating. It is definitely necessary to establish this in order to prescribe the correct treatment. The lower or upper lip may swell due to:
- mucosal injuries (bite, piercing, etc.);
- infections (not only inside the oral cavity, but also throughout the body);
- violation of the rules of the dental procedure;
- inflammatory processes;
- allergic reaction.
What to do if the lip is swollen
The best decision if you have swelling is to see a doctor. Even the most minor external problems can be dangerous to human health. The bloating itself does not carry a threat, but the reason that caused it can harm you. For example, the spread of infection, frequent suppuration, ulcers in the damaged area, aggravation due to the attachment of another infectious flora. Only a specialist will be able to correctly say what to do if the lip is swollen.
How to remove swelling from the lip after a stroke
Lip edema is a natural reaction of the body during physical impact on this part of the body. This is an obvious problem that is relatively easy to remove. You should know how to remove the tumor from the lip after an impact in order to prevent the penetration of infection, suppuration. Swelling will occur almost immediately after an injury, accompanied by a violation of the integrity of the skin, mucous membranes. If you are hit and your lip is swollen – what to do:
- First, a compress (hot / warm) should be applied to the site of the injury. To stop the flow of blood to the damaged area, it is allowed to use the cold version. You do not need to apply it to the wound itself, but to the adjacent area of the skin.
- In case of violation of the integrity of the skin, it is recommended to treat the wound with hydrogen peroxide and any means that will promote healing.
- The lips have very delicate, thin skin, so serious injuries can lead to a change in appearance (attractiveness). If you notice that an injury has led to a loss of circuit, consult a doctor immediately.?
Herpes on the lower lip
People who suffer from this disease, with swelling of the lips, immediately suspect herpes. Before the appearance of herpetic vesicles, inflammation occurs, pain increases. Herpes can occur to the same extent on the lower lip or upper, but more often it appears in the corner of the mouth. After a day, a bubble typical of the disease with a translucent liquid inside is formed. It is strictly forbidden to squeeze out, crush the neoplasm.
The maximum effectiveness of special products is noted if you start using them when the lip has just begun to swell. As a rule, people use Acyclovir, Gerpevir, Zovirax, which contain components that destroy the manifestations of the herpes virus, help reduce pain, have a healing effect. It is necessary to apply the agent systematically, regularly until the symptoms subside, the bubbles disappear. If the medications do not help, and the manifestations intensify, you need to consult a specialist to prescribe adequate treatment.
A person is accidentally able to bite his own lip, violate the integrity of tissues. This leads to the fact that it can swell, begin to hurt, in some cases complications begin. Tissue damage opens up access to infection, triggers the inflammatory process, which is accompanied by the accumulation of substance inside: excretion, pus, clear fluid. The bite of the lip in most cases is not dangerous to humans, but sometimes it can be a health hazard..
If you bit your lip, do not ignore this fact. Use the available means to prevent the development of inflammation:
- treat the wound with peroxide;
- apply iodine solution;
- drink still water to saturate, moisturize the mucous membrane.
Lip swells for no reason
In rare cases, a person develops a tumor on his lip that is committed suddenly and for no apparent reason. This does not mean that she began to swell just like that, rather you just do not know what triggered the bloating. If your lip is swollen for no reason, you need to analyze your recent actions and find out why such a reaction has occurred. As a rule, without obvious damage to the skin, this symptom causes an inflammatory, infectious process in the body, an allergic reaction to the product.
The lip may become inflamed after anesthesia at the dentist’s appointment; a mosquito, which became the carrier of the infection, could bite you. In any case, there is a reason for this manifestation, but you cannot find it. Allergies, for example, can begin in an adult suddenly. If the tissue continues to swell, hurt, contact a specialist immediately. He will be able to find out the cause of the symptom and tell what to do..
Swollen lips in the morning
This problem may be permanent or single in nature, but its cause should be clarified in any case. Lips swell in the morning, for example, due to the large amount of fluid drunk the night before. Solving problems is very easy – reducing the amount of water / tea before going to bed. The cause may be an allergy that has developed recently. At the first stage of herpes, the bubble is not visible, therefore, the swelling looks unreasonable, but there is always pain in the site of inflammation. If the problem persists and recurs every morning, contact a specialist.
Swollen lip in a child
This problem creates additional difficulties due to the fact that the baby cannot always correctly, accurately describe his feelings, sequentially restore the events of several days, which could lead to the fact that the child’s lip is swollen. What to do if the baby’s lip is swollen:
- Review breastfeeding tactics. Inflammation occurs due to improper attachment of the baby, which leads to the formation of corns in the oral cavity.
- The child is more prone to stomatitis, so you should carefully examine the inside of the mucous membrane, cavity, or consult a dentist.
- Parents may not yet be aware of their child’s allergic reactions, which is why this is often one of the causes of swelling. To do this, you need the following: remember what was eaten the day before and exclude these products from the diet, and then add them one at a time and monitor the reaction. Antihistamines suitable for swelling.
- Acute respiratory infections are more pronounced in babies. One of the symptoms at the initial stage will be swelling of the lips. Kids should be treated only according to the schedule prescribed by the pediatrician.
- Young children are clumsy, so they may accidentally break or bite their lips, causing swelling.
Inflammation on the lip inside
If you feel that inflammation has begun on the lip inside, as a rule, this indicates the development of periostitis, gingivitis, stomatitis. The symptom is accompanied by inflammation, a worsening of a person’s condition and threatens with the passage of infection deep into the human body. Any trauma of the mucous membrane, poor dental procedure, and poor oral hygiene can lead to swollen lips due to infection..
Doing something yourself with this problem is not worth it, because you cannot determine the root cause. Sometimes a symptom may occur due to infection from within the body. If the focus of inflammation formed in the mouth, then the spread of the disease along with the bloodstream should be prevented. The dentist or therapist must prescribe the right treatment..
Lip swollen after anesthesia
For most dental procedures, it is necessary to inject anesthetics so that the person is not hurt. Not infrequently, they cause an allergic reaction, which leads to the fact that after anesthesia the lip is swollen. In this case, the external manifestation occurs quickly, swelling is noticeable 30 minutes after the injection. Due to the action of the medication, the patient does not feel the changes and sees that the lip is swollen only after the cessation of the drug. However, the dentist will notice this symptom and take immediate action..
If edema manifests itself the day after the procedure, in addition to swelling, it is felt that the lip is pulling to the side, then an infectious complication is likely. In such cases, in addition to the main visual sign, pain will be felt at the injection site, along the nerve fiber. To the touch, the swollen place will be dense, hot, chills, nausea, dizziness are possible. Doing something yourself is not recommended, a specialist should take care of your treatment.
Swollen lip on one side
This symptom has a different intensity of inflammation. Sometimes a person notes that the lip is swollen on one side, and sometimes completely upper or lower. This indicates the intensity of the ongoing processes, the degree of inflammation, for example:
- Herpes, as a rule, causes swelling only at the place of growth of the herpetic vesicle and is accompanied by pain.
- If the lip is completely swollen, then a more likely variant of allergy or infection.
- In a small child, the cause of swelling on one side can be a dropsy, which was formed due to improper breastfeeding..
- Pityriasis versicolor – in humans, causes of occurrence, photo. Treatment of pityriasis versicolor at home with drugs and folk remedies
- How to reduce pressure quickly at home. Folk remedies and medicines for an attack of hypertension
- My neck hurts – what should I do? Causes of neck pain in adults and children, treatment and exercises