Autism is recorded by doctors much more often than in the past century. The disease affects all people, regardless of gender, age and social status. According to research by scientists from the United States, from 2013 to 2015, 88 children account for one child with autism. Presumably, the disease is more common among men. The problem is compounded by the fact that the circle of specialists competent in this field is very limited. Find out more about autism, what is this disease.
What is autism?
What is autism and how does it manifest? The disease is associated with the development of brain pathologies: there are changes in the work of the cortex of the frontal lobes of the brain. A pronounced lack of social communication is characteristic, the scope of autistic interests is limited, the same monotonous movements are regularly repeated. There are famous people with autism, which does not prevent them from achieving success in their field. Atypical autism is believed to be a milder form of the disease than classic, but this is a misconception.
In some sources, asperger syndrome is attributed to autism, but the specificity of the diseases is different. Today, experts distinguish the following stages of the manifestation of autism in humans:
- Does not make contact with the outside world.
- Closes in himself, can spend a long time on his favorite hobby.
- Does not perceive norms of behavior in society.
- Does not know how to cope with problems. Touchy, infantile.
- Among autists there are many geniuses, mentally developed mathematicians, physicists, talented musicians, writers, poets, artists.
At what age does it appear
Children’s autism, what is this disease? The ailment is formed in the womb and begins to manifest itself in infancy. Modern doctors diagnose early autism in children before the age of 3 years, because the sooner you detect this problem, the faster you can start treatment. There are first signs that indicate the symptoms of this disease. This includes, for example, not getting used to the mother’s hands, the baby does not fix his eyes on people, does not express affection for his mother.
How to recognize autism at an early age? To determine if this is true or false, the doctor conducts a series of specialized screening tests. In them, the patient describes the state of his feelings, the emotions of other people, tries to put himself in their place in order to describe the mental state of another. This highly functional method is extremely effective. The physical condition, hearing are also evaluated, additional studies are carried out (chromosome analysis, encephalogram, magnetic resonance imaging).
Causes of the disease
Scientists cannot accurately answer the question about the reasons for the appearance of this disease. The true cause is unknown, indirect include:
- genetic factor;
- a combination of harmful effects on the mother during pregnancy and childbirth;
- diseases: meningitis, phenylketonuria, encephalitis;
- mercury / lead poisoning;
- combination vaccines.
For the first time, a psychiatrist from the USA, Leo Kanner, spoke about the childhood form of this disease in the 30s of the last century. Why are babies with autism born? According to statistics, in the earliest period of a person’s life – such as infancy, genes are guilty of the development of this disease. Diagnosis of a child is complicated in that some facts from the behavior of the baby can be attributed to character traits, attributed to an early age. When the first symptoms appear, it is recommended to consult a pediatrician. Practice shows that local doctors are not always able to make the correct diagnosis..
Acquired Autism in Adults
With this disease, a person can not only be born, but also acquire it throughout life. This is due to neurological and mental problems, autism develops as a result of prolonged and neglected depression. Autism in adults is extremely dangerous, as it occurs abruptly and proceeds unnoticed. The disease does not have a severity, however, is developing rapidly. Having such a phenotype, a person closes in his world, ceases to be socially active, wants to escape from reality.
Symptoms of Autism
The first signs and symptoms for diagnosing this disease:
- Difficulties of social interaction, accompanied by certain specific behavior, noticeable to others.
- Difficulties in social communication, difficulties in verbal and non-verbal communication.
- Repetition of certain, monotonous actions.
- Focusing on the same details, autists lack thinking when describing an object as a whole.
- Difficult speech, it is difficult for an autist to put words into sentences.
What signs of autism in children of 2 years and partially in the first year of life can parents see in order to determine the disease? The classification is as follows:
- Newborns lack affection for family members.
- There is a mental retardation in the development of the child.
- Love for one toy / item, others uninteresting.
- Inadequate response to sharp sounds, other external stimuli.
- Children with autism have difficulty distinguishing living and nonliving objects..
- Prefer loneliness.
- Can’t copy adult behavior.
- Poor vocabulary, repeated repetition of certain words and phrases.
- Monotonous speech like a robot.
- Lack of intonation.
- Unexpressed social interest.
- There is an attachment to certain specific subjects..
- Man abides in his own world.
- The patient ignores the rules of conduct and ethics accepted in society.
- Doesn’t contact anyone first.
- A person may suffer seizures.
- Does not feel the emotions and conditions of another person.
- Does not need love, romance, friendship.
Is autism treated in children and adults? Unfortunately, this disease cannot be completely cured, regardless of whether it is congenital or acquired. However, there are a number of developments that help autists, if not completely cured, then learn self-care, work skills. Attention is paid to adaptation in society, behavioral therapy. Correction of social interactions is practiced, and disease progress is prevented. As prescribed by the attending physician, biologically active additives, special diets are used.