It is not worth ignoring the pain that appears in the navel area – they can talk about the beginning of the development of diseases and health problems. The localization, intensity, nature of the symptoms may vary, but even with minor discomfort, attention should be paid to it. When you feel that your stomach begins to hurt in the navel, this is a signal that gives the person a malaise. Some of the ailments can have very serious consequences, which requires everyone to listen more carefully to their condition..
Causes of abdominal pain in the navel
Based on the localization and characteristics of the pain, a preliminary conclusion can be made why the navel hurts. In the abdomen there are many internal organs, which can, with inflammatory processes or impaired functioning, project pain on the peritoneum. Acute abdominal pain in the navel area, as a rule, indicates such diseases:
- inflammation of the jejunum – unit;
- problems with blood circulation of the mesenteric vessels;
- irritable bowel syndrome;
- enzyme deficiency;
This is just a short list of possible disorders of the body. Each disease has its own set of symptoms, therefore it is important to try to determine all functional changes as accurately and in time as possible in order to describe them at the doctor’s appointment. Below are the most common options for diseases indicating the location of pain in the umbilical region.
Pain near the navel and below is characteristic of both sexes. As a rule, it is difficult to determine the cause due to the vast number of organs in this part of the abdomen and possible diseases. Sometimes this is a typical intoxication, because of which the lower abdomen hurts and diarrhea pesters for a long time. In this case, the lion’s share of the success of treatment depends on the qualifications of the doctor and the accuracy of the description of the symptoms by the patient. However, there is a list of possible ailments with localization of pain below the peritoneum.
- Aching pains in the lower abdomen in men sometimes appear due to malignant or benign tumors of the genital organs.
- Unpleasant feelings in the inguinal region may be the result of inflammation of the testicles or their appendages.
- Another possible cause is the acute phase of prostatitis. Symptoms are greatly aggravated by urination, their spread to the anus or sacrum is not excluded.
- Pain around the navel in women sometimes occurs due to rupture of the follicle. It begins abruptly between 10 and 16 days of the cycle. It appears to the right and left of the umbilical zone. Duration – from a couple of seconds to 3-4 minutes.
- Cramping pain on both sides of the center of the abdomen indicates a possible inflammation of the appendages. Sensations become stronger during sexual contact and, over time, can spread to the hips and groin.
- During pregnancy, pain of this kind is not uncommon. They are caused by an increase in the uterus, which creates pressure on the bladder and intestines. Sensations resemble a pin prick (colic). These phenomena are considered normal in the second trimester. It is worth starting to worry if they have not stopped closer to childbirth. If you have pain in the later stages, be sure to make an appointment with a doctor.
To the left of the navel
Diverticulitis of the small intestine. It is characterized by protrusion of the mucous membrane of a saccular shape through the muscle layer of the intestine. The diverticulum diameter can be from 3 mm to 3 cm. They appear immediately in several places on any segment of the small intestine. Diverticulitis usually occurs in people over 40 years old. The clinical picture includes discomfort in the left abdomen, navel hurts when pressed.
Pain on the right
The most common disease of the abdominal area, which can not do without surgical intervention, is appendicitis. Painful sensations appear suddenly, the stomach begins to hurt in the navel, later the sensations shift to the right side of the abdomen. Symptoms include fever, dry tongue, rapid pulse, and vomiting. When pressed, sharp cutting pain occurs, which intensifies when the arm is removed.
Another disease that extends to the right is inversion of the small intestine, which is called intestinal obstruction. Initially, discomfort is localized around the navel. The pain is acute, cutting, concentrated inside the abdominal cavity in the reverberal region. Further, the peculiarity of pain changes, it becomes cramping, frequent, severe, usually goes into the right half of the abdomen.
Around the belly button
Almost all pains in the abdominal cavity are initially localized near the navel. Therefore, similar sensations can hide a variety of ailments. It is possible to simplify the diagnosis and narrow down the circle of searches if certain specific features of pain are identified. Pay attention to such moments:
- What is the nature of the pain: cutting, stitching, pulling, aching, dull or sharp.
- What preceded the unpleasant sensations: physical activity, unusual food, etc..
- What is accompanied by the disease: diarrhea, fever, nausea, vomiting.
Above the belly button
Some stomach problems cause pain over the navel. As a rule, it is aching, not sharp, lasts a long time. Short-term relief after eating is possible, after which the pain returns again. This can happen due to a reduced or increased acidity of the stomach. Continuous pain can also talk about problems with the pancreas, duodenum, gall bladder. Possible diseases:
- stomach ulcer;
- lower pleurisy;
- gallbladder inflammation due to stones;
- pancreatitis with girdle pain.
What to do if the stomach hurts in the navel and is sick
If the stomach sharply hurts in the navel area when pressed or pain occurs periodically – visit your gastroenterologist. Many diseases can cause similar symptoms, only a doctor will make the correct diagnosis. As a rule, suspicion immediately falls on enteritis, which is a typical disease of the small intestine. With any variant of the disease, painkillers will not help, a full treatment should be carried out, which the specialist will prescribe.