In the ranking of the largest megacities on the planetDelhi is in the forefront. In accordance with the Archaeological Survey of India, Delhi has about 60,000 monuments built more than a few thousand years ago, all of them are of world significance. The unusuality of this city is the intertwining of dirty slums with magnificent temples, the misery of beggars with constant chic holidays.
Interesting Places in Delhi
In Delhi, any guest of the city will not be difficultTo find spectacular sights, the visit of which will cause a storm of admiration and leave a lot of memories. Amazing palaces, minarets, numerous temples and mausoleums always attract a large number of visitors. Among the most popular places of interest are:
- The Red Fort, built in 1648, has an amazing architecture and takes an honorable place in the history of the country, because here in 1947 the flag of independent India was solemnly raised.
- "The Mosque of a single grain" or the Motkhi Masjid was built in the sixteenth century, but the original interior was completely preserved until our time.
- From the largest mosque in Delhi, the Jama-Masjid offers an amazing view of the city, this building also houses a copy of one chapter of the Koran, a footprint of the Prophet Muhammad's foot on the stone.
- Indian sacred art - main topicsIn the National Museum. Here are images of Hindu deities, among the exhibits a lot of tantric diagrams, miniatures, stone sculptures and ancient weapons.
One of the most picturesque places are the Lodi GardensWith their environs, such as lawns with paths, bonsai trees, Athpul bridge of the XVII century, the shafts of the tomb of Sikander Lodi of the 15th-16th centuries, the buildings of Bara-Gumbad and Shish-Gumbad. Bara-Gumbad - a solid building with a 15th century mosque adjacent to it and a guest house. Shish-Gumbad is the tomb of Bakhlal Lodi. The tomb of Muhammad Shah is also located in the territory of the Lodi Gardens, inside it are the graves of the Sultan and his courtiers.
Built in 1931 and withstood in styleColonial art hotel "Imperial" - a living legend, a historical museum of India. For many years, his guests were many famous artists, whose works still adorn the hotel premises.
Going shopping, local markets - an integral event for tourists. The markets and shops of the old city always attract a lot of buyers with original goods of local craftsmen, souvenirs:
- The noise and hustle of the Indian shopping streets are fully revealed in the most popular market of Chandi Chowk, which is a fascinating maze with a variety of goods;
- At the Kinata bazaar, gold and silverware are presented;
- The bazaars of the bazaar Naya are bursting with a variety of spices, fruits and sweets;
- Indian craftsmanship is represented in Connaught Place;
- Galleries, exhibitions, antique shops and fashion boutiques are located in the popular area of Delhi - House Khas.
Traditional Indian food, popularityWhich can only be envied, is one of the most ancient. It was based on vegetables, as an addition - rice, fish, tortillas and other flour products. A special charm attached to a variety of sets of spices. To enjoy Indian dishes, visit the Karim restaurant, which has an 80-year history. There is no vegetarian menu, so many dishes are prepared with chicken and lamb, while they are generously seasoned with spicy spices. Often, at the entrance to the restaurant, a queue is built due to the low cost of all the treats.
This is not a complete list of amazing placesAncient city of Delhi. The first visit can confuse any tourist, even the most experienced, but even then the city will leave wonderful memories of itself.
Have a nice trip!