A man gets into a dangerous situation, and suddenlysomewhere there are forces, thoughts come, get out of it. He decides lightning speed, not noticing the pain. This happens because in this situation produces a hormone that helps to cope with stress.
What is cortisol
It is called the hormone of the adrenal cortex, whichreleased by the body in the event of a threat to life and health. His appearance - a reaction to the threat. Cortisol - what it is, why it is called the stress hormone? The substance helps in difficult situations:
- temporarily increase the power;
- increase efficiency;
- survive the shock;
- increase the speed of reaction;
- improve brain activity;
- dull the pain.
Cortisol is responsible for what? It regulates the protein, carbohydrate, mineral and fat metabolism, provides the body with amino acids, glucose. The hormone cortisol:
- increases metabolism;
- stabilizes blood pressure;
- It protects the person against the penetration of infection;
- normalizes sugar;
- during pregnancy helps the formation of mucous layer in the lungs of the fetus;
- It possesses anti-inflammatory action.
Deviation from the normal level of the hormone causes serious problems. The main reasons for this - malfunction of the adrenal cortex, ovaries, thyroid gland. If the figures are low, there is a possibility:
- weight loss;
- reduced pressure;
- monthly violations;
- muscle weakness;
- impaired fertility.
Elevated hormone levels of performance - too bad. It is necessary to reduce them, otherwise you may receive:
- big belly with thin arms and legs;
- changing shape of the face;
- sleep disturbances;
- low immunity;
- disorders of bone strength;
- stomach cramps;
Cortisol - the norm for women
Identify signs of hormone standards atWomen can be the appearance of symptoms - tachycardia before menstruation begins. When stress arises desire to eat certain foods, such as sweets. hormone level indicators rise at puberty and during pregnancy are increased many times over. The decline begins at menopause.
Normal blood morning cortisol in women is 130 to 610 nmol / l. The danger is a decrease in performance of the norm. Deficiency can cause:
- increased body hair;
- the occurrence of rash;
- the emergence of multiple pigmented spots;
- disorders of menstruation - an increase in the gap, reducing the number of discharges, the complete cessation;
Cortisol - the rate for men
Particular influence of this hormone in the bodymen. He is an enemy of testosterone, which is responsible for the development of sperm, increased libido. When the stable operation of the body's hormones balanced. An increase in cortisol, testosterone is reduced, there are many problems. Normal Blood Cortisol in men in the morning of 65-330 nmol / L.
To bring the system to equilibrium, required to reduce the level of cortisol, otherwise it increased the number of men is:
- decreased muscle mass;
- acceleration of the aging process;
- instability of the psyche;
- sexual problems;
- increase in muscle tension when bodybuilding;
- the appearance of pain after exercise;
- weakening of muscle breakdown.
The hormone in the blood is in a bound stateproteins. Material for the study is taken from a vein. Donating blood test for cortisol should be on an empty stomach, at the quiescent state, before 10:00 is not. To get objective results it is necessary to prepare properly to decipher. To do this is to give up for the day:
- sexual intercourse;
- oral contraceptives;
- fatty foods;
- tea, coffee;
- Dietary supplements with opioids;
- preparations containing estrogen.
hormone levels in the urine indicators change whenpathologies. Its rate is 28,5-213,7 mcg / day. Cortisol in urine is different from the blood - is in the form of - objectively shows how work adrenals. Gathering material for analysis has features:
- It requires daily urine, with the exception of the first portion in the morning;
- in 3-liter jar put 1 g of boric acid - a preservative;
- mix the entire amount, separately for analysis pour 100 ml;
- temperature storage of urine during the collection - from 4 to 8;
- We need to tell the technician the total amount of material.
Cortisol in saliva
One of the informative analysis - showsblood levels of the hormone free form. Determination of cortisol in saliva can be carried out at any time, but the most accurate values when the material collected at 23 hours. Nightly rates in ng / ml - 13,8-3,3. For the analysis does not require special preparation, but you need a special device for collecting saliva. It is important that there is no bleeding of the gums. desirable:
- Nightly exclude alcohol;
- per hour - not to brush their teeth, to stop smoking;
- 10 minutes - rinse the mouth with water.
How to lower cortisol
To bring to the normal level of the hormone,you need to use products that have an antioxidant effect with vitamin C - vegetables, fruit, juice. How to reduce cortisol? It is recommended:
- a balanced diet;
- eliminate the causes of depression;
- avoid stress;
- drinking coffee, tea;
- increase protein intake;
- take tablets of vitamin C.
Reduce the high level of the hormone helps the implementation of such measures:
- muscle relaxation;
- weight loss;
- receiving corticosterone;
- the use of fish oil;
- testosterone replacement therapy;
- traditional medicine - broths Rhodiola rosea, Eleutherococcus, Hypericum;
- the use of sports supplements - hormone blockers.
Bodybuilders take drugswhich suppress the activity of the hormone to prevent muscle breakdown after workouts, keep them with fat loss. The most affordable of cortisol blockers - ascorbic acid - is sold in a pharmacy. Special medications to help reduce the amount of the hormone is available in the sports nutrition stores. Popular:
- amino acids (BCAA);
- Whey Protein;